Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Crazy keith's Corner: RF(K)-Bombs

After a week without Keith, it was good to be able to hear him singing "what a difference a day makes" after David Wright got his third hit of the night.

Oh, wait, that was Gary Cohen. What in the name of Lindsey Nelson is going on here?

Keith's obviously picked up a cold since I heard him last; there were moments where his voice cracked so much I thought he was going through some mid-life puberty. That didn't stop this gem in the top of the first after David Wright had gotten a single:

Keith: "Athletes are fragile, including me."

Gary: "I never thought you were fragile."

Keith: "Oh trust me, I was. I was the biggest worry wort there was. I'm serious...partner."

Gary: "It seems you pulled yourself up by the bootstraps mighty well."

Keith: "That was a nice pitch there, as I change the subject." (laughs)

Ah, now everything seems like it's back to normal. Oh, and we found out Keith has a toy parrot that spews out curse words.

D.C. Tales: So my bi-annual trek to RFK to see the Mets play the Nationals was a great time. Alas, I missed a good chunk of Friday night's game because my damn flight got delayed to due to the storms moving up the Eastern seaboard. But Friday and Sunday's games were excellent overall--except for the Friday night loss. There was a huge pack of Mets fans at both games and the chants of "Let's Go Mets" kept popping up. On Sunday's game the scoreboard flashed "Let's Go Nats," and I heard people yelling "Mets" trying to drowning it out.

Two more things: One, RFK is the only stadium that makes Shea look a little bit better (my Sunday seat was wooden and had paint peeling off of it) and two, they also play "Sweet Caroline" in between innings, so I guess the Boston cliche has spread everywhere.

Many thanks to my friend (and Zisk contributor) Dr. Nancy Golden for setting up the tickets and allowing me to drink for 12 hours straight on Saturday in Baltimore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

orrying days, as Valentin and Hernandez gets hurt, and they lose to teams they shouldn't. I'm not so worried about Wright and Delgado, and wish people would especially leave Wright alone. As Yogi said, "I ain't in a slump, I just ain't hitting." ;)

Anyway, they talked a surprising amount of, erm, baseball, over the past couple of nights. ;)

Did you hear the bio-rhythm exchange on Monday night? And Keith declaring he has never read a self-help book. "Maybe that's why I'm such a mess," he offers.

That's how I know he's telling the truth-- if he actually had looked at some self-help books, he would know that they are all horsehockey.

I thought the parrot was Gary's?!

Awww moment- Keith's going to see his daughter's college graduation.

Anonymous said...

Hey, did you see the get-away game Wednesday afternoon? Keith got all literary.

It came up because one of the Mets organizations' Good Works is supporting literacy, and sponsoring school reading groups. One of them was out in force at the game Wednesday, and Kevin Burkhart briefly spoke to the head of the program, a nice lady, classic school teacher, looked just like my Mom. ;)

Gary mentioned that with other goodies, the kids were getting an abridged version of "The Three Musketeers," and Keith perked right up. "Who are your favorite classic authors, Gary?" he demanded.

Gary said he preferred Kurt Vonnegut, and his favorite was "Slaughterhouse Five." Keith extolled Victor Hugo, and stipulated that his favorite was not "Les Miserables," but "Notre Dame de Paris" (the one known in English as "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"), and "Toilers of the Sea."

I wonder now if he read them in French. :P

The title of "Toilers" in French is "Les Travailleurs de la mer," harder to pronounce than "Notre Dame." Ron Darling could do it, though. :P

Keith went on to say that Kurt Vonnegut was his neighbor in Turtle Bay when he still lived in Manhattan, that saw him often and "chatted him up." Vonnegut was a "huge baseball fan."

Gosh, I wonder what those conversations could have been like?