Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Voices, I Hear Voices...

When I saw this news, I immediately emailed my comrade/fellow Figgs fan Jason over at Faith and Fear and wrote, "You might want to pass this along to your blog partner." And within 30 minutes Greg posted with joy. I had nothing against Tom McCarthy and there were plenty of times I thought he jelled very well with Howie Rose. But his calls did seem to be a bit slow at times and most disturbingly, he wasn't Gary Cohen.

So who's next in the radio booth? Will Ed Coleman (who I got the impression would kill for the regular spot in booth from the one time I spoke with him at length) get the call and someone else take over the fill-in and Mets Extra duties? Since Eddie is a full-time WFAN employee (he deftly runs the NFL In Action show once the baseball season is over) I wonder if this could happen. I did notice he's not going down to the winter meetings like his Yankee FAN counterpart Sweeny Murti. (SI.com's Jon Heyman is now doing on air reports for the station.) Could this be a sign of things to come? I don't even have a good suggestion for any other possible replacements.

In other news, the 2008 schedule is out. Those McCarthy-loving Phillies to open, those pesky Marlins to close out Shea on September 28th. And yes, I will be one of those suckers the day tickets go on sale trying to get seats for that last game, hopefully somewhere in the upper deck. I did get a chuckle that among the highlights are "Torre and the Dodgers" coming to town May 29th through the 1st. That being said, the Mets are doing L.A. twice this year--once against the Dodgers in early May and an interleague series in mid-June. Hmm, Jet Blue might be calling me next year. On the negative side, this means that the team will be making three separate trips (San Diego and San Fran are the first week of June) to the West Coast, which won't be any fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd been sitting on a "Dear Tom" letter for quite a while. Had no idea it would come this soon.

That Torre & The Dodgers thing got my goat. Why not Baker & The Reds? Russell & The Bucs? Mets...stop being that way. You know, the way that you are.

--Greg